JUNGLE JUSTICE: THE PATH TO JUSTICE OR NOT?

Nigerians would always remember the story of the four innocent university of Port Harcourt students that were brutally murdered by residents of Aluu community on accusation of theft which turned out to be false. Some Nigerians felt pity for them because they were innocent of the crime they were accused and murdered for, others felt pity for their families, and many talked about the dashed hopes and dreams. I was quite surprised that only few debated on the issue of jungle justice in a country like Nigeria often referred as ‘’Giants of Africa.’’ Each time I heard people discuss the issue, I listened with hope that citizens of Nigeria, a country believed to be en route greatness would think about how to end jungle justice in Nigeria. Owing to the public outcry for justice, I thought to myself ‘’Chinedu this will end the problem of jungle justice in Nigeria or at least lead a revolution to end it.’’ With time, I noticed that most Nigerians were saddened by the fact that the boys were innocent, they were right though but wrong not to have condemned the act of jungle justice (some did though). I was disappointed, and each time the question of jungle justice as means for justice arose, my reply is always NO.


People defend jungle justice on the basis that it ensures revenge and payback, I hear folks argue that the punishment for offenders of the law especially terrorists like the dreaded Boko Haram sect is Jungle justice. For a country like Nigeria where justice is perverted oftentimes, where one can bribe his/her way out of punishment for crimes committed, where citizens are not sure they can rely on the constitution and government for justice, one might due to anger and disappointment defend the inhumane act of jungle justice. Folks fail to pose certain questions like; what if the accused is innocent? What about giving the offender a second chance? What do our religions preach about vengeance? What if the accused is family, would I kill or give the individual another chance? Does jungle justice promote democracy and our justice system? Are we moving forward as a nation or not?

I recall an incident that happened few years back. On a sunny Saturday afternoon while heading to the viewing centre to see an English Premier League game (football or soccer), I saw a crowd chasing a tall skinny boy and chanting ‘’parawo,’’ an hausa term literally translated as thief. As they headed towards my direction, I was left with two options, it was either I catch and surrendered him to the angry mob or risk letting him go and be mistaken for the thief, I am not Jesus Christ and was not prepared to do the latter. He had stolen a woman’s phone, all she did was grabbing her phone from his hands, and did not bother to look me in the face talk more of saying thanks. I could not last a minute in the scene because the young man was hit with heavy sticks and as someone reached for a big stone to use on the thief, I left quickly not because I have not seen scenarios worse than that, but because I could not stand the guilt I felt inside.


''What has violence ever accomplished? What has it ever created? No martyr's cause has ever been stilled by an assassin's bullet. No wrongs have ever been righted by riots and civil disorders. A sniper is only a coward, not a hero; and an uncontrolled or uncontrollable mob is only the voice of madness, not the voice of the people.'' - Robert Kennedy 
We claim to be a democratic nation, respect rule of law and the constitution, yet we cannot live up to democratic tenets. Some might argue the practice of democracy, what about our religious teachings on vengeance being for the Lord (Christians)? I hear of people being burnt in the public especially in places like Aba. The worst case of jungle justice that I have seen is the act being carried out by law enforcement agents. Back in 2017 during my national service in Cross River state, some kidnappers faced a police firing squad without trial in court. I was shocked by public appraisal of the act, many argued that it would serve as a lesson to all. If we are quick to eliminate such persons, what about politicians that embezzle huge sums of money and get away with it? What about notorious kidnappers like Evans that the public knows little or nothing about the trial in court? Despite the disappointments that come with our justice system, we must not give up because we are on the path of nation building and we have the power to quicken the process.

Comments

  1. Wow... If Only we will listen.You said i5 all brother. Jungle Justice to me remains Unjustified Justice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jungle justice is evil but not because any religion said so. Im in a place rn where I'm averse to most religious teachings but that's by the way. It's am act that is more animal like than human like. The government should really do well to douse the fears and disappointments of the people by reforming the justice system. I'm sure it'll go a long way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

AFRICAN JUJU: MISINTERPRETED OR OVERATED?

IS GOD THE GIVER OF WEALTH OR DOES HARD WORK GUARANTEE WEALTH?